Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Engagement Photos: Who (or What) is the Focus?

It's fairly often that I get a wedding announcement in the mail and end up rolling my eyes. When I get a picture like the one below, I feel like the announcement itself should say what is inherent in the couple's pose, so I did some editing to express this. (Note: I don't know the people in the picture.)

I know that most couples aren't actually thinking this way when they take the shot, but I think if everyone stopped and really thought about what happens when the ring becomes the center of the announcement, they'd find the following:

1) It detracts from the PEOPLE in the picture, the ones we should be celebrating.
2) It's either a really nice ring that shows off your wealth, or it's a really poor ring that isn't worth showing off.
3) It's cliche, cheesy and unnatural.
4) It detracts from the real purpose of the photo: a medium by which the groom's friends can check out and determine the bride's level of hotness.

8 comments:

Ted said...

I'd just like to point out that MY engagement photo was taken at YOUR grandfathers funeral. It just happened to be a really good picture, which happens so rarely for me that I have to take advantage of it when it happens. So what was going through my mind when my engagement photo was taken? It wavered between "Who takes actual posed photos of people at a funeral?" and "Do I really want to marry into this family???" ;)

JBod said...

Shark, I think you should include the jawbone of a whale in your wedding announcement. And wear a nice blouse.

Bryce said...

You are the man. You need to join facebook and look at the pictures in the group : Lame engagement photos rock my socks or something. IT is hilarious.

JKC said...

Amen. Don't knock the jawbone, jbod. Filled with the spirit, Barry could slay thousands of philistines with that jawbone.

Meg said...

I actually am opposed to the Mormon/Western idea that people need an engagement picture at all. No matter what - ALL engagement pictures are scrutinized for one reason or another. I think I will go without.

Greatest American Fisherman ever said...

I personally wanted matching denim on bails of hay but Emily wasn't going for it. So you know how awhile ago you sent me a link from linkedin and asked me to do a reference for you...well good old diamante sent me one too but I never really knew the kid and what I did know I wasn't to fond of so I denied it and I think he's pissed!

The Former 786 said...

Shark, you and I are of the same mind.

My wife and I actually made a fake wedding announcement to mock this type of ring-worship.

You can check it out at http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n288/joelofthedead/miscellaneous/JBInviteFunny1.jpg

We were pretty proud of it.

The Former 786 said...

And since that got cut off here's the last part of the HTML.

/miscellaneous/JBInviteFunny1.jpg