Friday, April 4, 2008

Dreams: Quack!


I had a pretty brief dream last night that I was in a fancy restaurant, waiting at my table for my date to meet me there. The host walks in and seats a woman next to me, but it's not the girl I was waiting for. However, she's gorgeous, so I decide to acquiesce and I begin chit-chatting. In a move that can only happen during a night that I'm utterly exhausted, I begin dreaming of sleeping. The stranger at the table throws her legs into my lap and lays her head on my shoulder. My head leans against hers, and we soon find ourselves fast asleep in the middle of the restaurant.

Suddenly, I wake up and look at the girl. "Wait a minute," I think to myself, "She's not pretty at ALL!" Perhaps revealing a little too much about my subconscious, I slowly repel myself from the girl, leaving her asleep at the table as I run out of the restaurant.

The dream ends with me jumping off a wooden deck outside the restaurant that overlooks a small river/large creek full of ducks and other birds. As I jump, I actually begin to swoop toward a large gathering of ducks, and just before I hit the water I actually begin floating mid-air, and then take off soaring through the sky. I make repeated dives at the group of ducks, doing my own imitation of quacking simply to see how they react, chasing them out of the water as they flap their wings in panic. Some ducks are so freaked out by my ability to follow them a hundred feet in the air that they tuck in their wings altogether so as to dive-bomb back into the water in hopes of escape.

Then I woke up.

Analysis:
-I've got nothing, aside from a sense of giddiness from having a flying dream. I've read stuff that says those who dream about flying have a strong will, but I don't think anything really accounts for the specific scenario in my little fantasy here.

Conclusion:
-If you somehow gain the power of flight, don't bother the ducks. The last thing they need is to be harassed by some jerk with superpowers.

8 comments:

Bryce said...

I love the conclusion. "Don't waste your time!" Keep up the fun dreams.

The Former 786 said...

That same thing happened to me once.

Except for the duck part.

I like your dreams, Shark.

Laura said...

haha... this is the best dream i think i've encountered before... i'm a little bit jealous actually

JBod said...

I always have to flap my arms to fly in my flying dreams. I wish I could float.

The Shark said...

That's what's wacky, jbod, is that I usually have to flap my arms, too, at least to get myself off the ground. But lately I've had more and more flying dreams, and they are much easier to do. Maybe I'm just loving life right now or something... Hmmm...

Martha said...

Shark,
This wasn't a dream. This is EXACTLY how our first date went. I can't believe you forgot...

Amanda said...

Analysis.2:
-You watched Mighty Ducks 2 recently.
-You are settling in your dating life for people who seem great at first, but then you realize that they're not what you want. This raises an important question, though: Who's the date you were supposed to meet? Someone you know already or someone you have yet to meet? This dream's gettin' intense.

P.S.- I have never flown in a dream and I'm quite jealous. When I was little I used to jump off of couches a lot in my pathetic attempts to fly. I stopped for a while, but then I started doing it again. And thus: The Flying Dambrink.

The Shark said...

Actually, Amanda, I've been meaning to go back and mention the "Mighty Ducks," because that very well was the inspiration for that part of my dream. Thanks for reminding me (and all of us).

As for your second point, at first I rolled my eyes but upon re-reading it, I've decided that you may be onto something. I vaguely remember feeling like I already knew the person I was waiting for, but I could be making that up, and in any case I'm not sure who that person is, even if I DO know her.

And I would kill for a digital copy of the Flying Dambrink.