Monday, December 10, 2007

From "Somewhere in Time" to "Rock-A-Doodle": What's Next?



This film gets a point for casting Chris Plummer, who won our hearts in "The Sound of Music" as the Von Trapp father and in "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" as the Shakespeare-quoting Klingon General Chang.

On the other hand, the film gets minus two points for depicting a kid getting bullied around by some tough film nerds. I just have a hard time picturing any scenario in which a group of snooty jocks pin a classmate to a locker and make threats regarding his entry in a film festival. Most jocks I knew in high school were too concerned with underage drinking and popularity to care about the arts.

In any case, the trailer does pique my curiosity. What will its theme be? Redemption through filmmaking (the elderly rediscovering themselves as they help the young reach their potential)? What it takes to be a sincere artist (the line where Plummer chides the kid for being wishy-washy about his story - "A director has to KNOW!")? Selling out vs. creativity?

One of my concerns is that maybe this story has been done already in recent years. I just hope that Plummer doesn't try his hand at ebonics.

3 comments:

JKC said...

I'm intrigued.

The threatening kid was an odd combination of preppy, mafia brat, Eurotrash, and the incestuous dude from Gladiator.

At any rate, he's not intimidating.

Cabeza said...

I found the trailer to be less effective. I don't know, it just seemed overly dramatic for a movie about a film festival. It could be good.

I'll wait for Shark to see it.

Christina said...

It does look interesting as an (overplayed) idea, but I agree w/ Cabeza. You go see it first, review it, and then I'll consider it. It seemed like they were taking themselves far too seriously. Come on...Christopher Plummer's got some great comedic chops in there somewhere. Right? Maybe? Aw, nevermind. Anyway, you first.