Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Dreams: Muera, Las Vegas.

I've had a couple comments made to me about the posting spree I had the week before Christmas. For those who I've yet to inform: I have an informal goal to post something creative, once a day, Monday through Friday. So far I've been rotating between three media: audio, video, and graphic. If I can venture into other forms as well (e.g. Flash animation, After Effects/Motion, short stories, drawing, etc.) those will also be included. I'm allowing myself exceptions on days that I wake up from a dream worth posting about.

I haven't posted lately because of my holidays in Utah, followed shortly after by a 10-day business trip in Las Vegas (where I am until this Friday). Which brings me to the purpose of this post.

Though certainly Vegas is relatively warmer at this time of year than other places in the country, my hotel room can get a little nippy in the evening. It's not usually too bad, but the other night I decided to turn on the heater to a low setting before flipping the lightswitch. Little did I know the impact this would have on my sleep.

I don't recall exactly the content of my dreams that night. But I DO remember having them violently interrupted by the sudden shrieking emanating from the heater vent every couple of hours. This horrific noise never completely woke me up -- somehow I was aware of the sound's foreign source even though I was asleep -- but every time it blared into my ears my dreams would be visited by a young black child who began dancing to the shrieking sound. It didn't matter what was going on in my dreams -- the same little boy came in every single time and just started dancing his heart out without saying a word.

Disturbing? Perhaps. At least it wasn't a girly Indian kid playing soccer.

Analysis: The fact that the same kid showed up every time the noise was heard reflects that my mind does indeed make unconscious associations with audible elements, even if said association is vague, at best.

Conclusion: Even the most horrifying noises apparently have rhythm. This would somewhat explain country and hip hop music.

2 comments:

Bryce said...

I think that this ability to interpret dreams could come in handy. Are you planning on writing some sort of book endorsed by Darl about creativity?

Meg said...

i enjoyed this post until you bagged on country music and rap. they both constitute my heritage. Well - them + Elvis.