Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Flashback: Plastic Man

In an effort to appease the masses, here's a drawing I did ten years ago for an online contest to recreate silver age comic covers. Silver age comics were known for having one or more characters exclaiming something, often to the reader -- which is what I was going for here. Other silver age elements include: having the threatened hero positioned dramatically in the foreground while the villain looks on in the back; images and events that never occur in the pages of the story; and the sidekick/friend betraying the title character.

I didn't win the competition, but I remember having fun putting this together. I didn't participate in art contests very often. One unfortunate choice I made was to scan this in as a bitmap (I don't have an original JPEG version), so the resolution is kind of funky.

And, yes, this is definitely a Simpsons reference.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

What does it say under the Plastic Man heading? "__ __ Scotland!!" ?

The Shark said...

Oops, my bad -- meant to get back to this yesterday.

It says "Goes to." It's illegible because of the pixelation, and the poor lettering combined with a too-saturated blue sky.

I like the plaid on the kilt though.