Thursday, June 21, 2007

It's Such a Good Feeling


Mr. Rogers has influenced us all, whether directly or indirectly. I used to watch his program as a kid, as I'm sure many of you did, and his impact on children's programming has been incredible.

With this in mind, I share two videos from YouTube that I found that made me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside.

This first one is actually from the end of his career. One of the things I love about Fred Rogers is his ability to show his sincerity through a camera. He isn't acting -- he really does love me and you just the way we are! You can see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice.



This second video I first saw in one of my first film classes on the day of our final. Apparently it's an extra on one of the Mr. Rogers collection DVD's. I almost cried when I watched it, because it shows just how much Rogers loved the children he was trying to hard to reach out to. Below is a quote from Wikipedia, which sets up the video (I've cut out parts so as to allow the video to tell the story):

In 1969, Rogers appeared before the United States Senate Subcommittee on Communications. His goal was to support funding for PBS and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, in response to significant proposed cuts. ...

The chairman of the subcommittee, John O. Pastore, was not previously familiar with Rogers' work, and was sometimes described as gruff and impatient...




Thanks, Mr. Rogers!!

No comments: