Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cow Time Thoughts: Growing Facial Hair (as opposed to cutting and pasting)


This website is loaded with instructions on growing facial hair and the different styles that are out there, including:
As opposed to the UNfriendly mutton chop:




While we're on the subject of cow time, I'm wondering if anyone out there can tell me whence this phrase originates. I've been using it ever since I was a boy scout at age 11. My brother-in-law, who is from Utah, has been using it since '95 even though our paths didn't cross until '99 or so. Meanwhile, J. Bod claims to have invented the phrase as a young man. What is the true origin of the phrase "cow time"? I am determined to find out.

2 comments:

Warren said...

Cutting and pasting is a bit faster then growing it out.

JBod said...

My freshman roommate and I came up with the phrase "cow time" independently of you guys, but that wasn't until 1998, so apparently we weren't the originals. We came up with it because I used to work at a dairy farm early in the mornings, and we stayed up late a lot as freshman. Cow time wasn't just being awake during the wee hours of the morning, though. For us it came to mean being so tired that EVERYTHING was funny. I'm not sure if it has that same connotation for you.