Thursday, August 28, 2008

Casting a Shark Biographical Movie: Dad

So this is pretty ridiculous:

As much as I'd love to have some sex appeal in a movie about my life, I somehow don't think Kirsten Dunst could really capture the man that is my father adequately.

If I were to pick someone to portray my father, it would be Ned Beatty. Known in my family for playing the part of the bumbling sidekick Otis in "Superman: The Movie," Ned Beatty is actually a very diverse actor who has proven his skill in roles such as the father in "Rudy." In fact, I think the role in that film is what causes me to draw the connection between the two men.

There is a scene near the end of the film where Rudy's parents and brother come to see him in his first (and only) game that he actually gets to play on the field at Notre Dame. His father is in awe when he sees the field, having been a huge Notre Dame fan his entire life yet never getting to see a live game. Up until this point, he's sort of skeptical about Rudy being a real "football player" for the team. But when Rudy sacks the QB, the crowd goes nuts, and perhaps the loudest screamer is his father, Ned Beatty, jumping up and down, pumping his fists in the air and proudly exclaiming to everyone around him, "That's my son! My son!" I actually get really choked up every time I see that part of the climax.

My dad has always been one of the major cheerleaders in my life, sending me constant e-mails throughout college to express his faith in me, and writing me more regularly than anyone else while I was on my mission for two years. I've loved having that support.

So Ned Beatty it is. I think he even looks a little like my dad, which helps, of course.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I should probably watch Rudy sometime, huh?

I'm kind of amazed at the list of suggested actors for your dad--that's quite a range.

DAD said...

Hmmmm, Ned Beatty playing me, huh? Well frankly, I have always liked him as an actor, and I truly believe he is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood. He ia very capable of handling a diversity of roles well.

But, I don't know about the looks. I always like to think of myself as somewhat better looking than Ned Beatty, and in my younger years I believe I was....this is before my chronic pain started beating the heck out of my body and spirit.

But if you feel good about Ned Beatty, so be it....just remember I can revoke my enthusiastic endorsement of you and/or your projects at any time (this is a disclaimer given every parent...no really, look on the back of your birth certificate!
So there it is, a bit more wisdom from your #1 cheerleader. Dad

Ted said...

I wondered who you would cast as me in your life movie. Then I decided I might not want to know. Also, if you write a post saying that I would be best portrayed by Jack Black, I will never speak to you again.