Sunday, August 31, 2008

Casting a Shark Biographical Movie: Ted and Amy

It seems that, after two excellent experiences finding matches through MyHeritage.com, the luck has run out for my sister and brother-in-law:


What a horrible list of results! Tom Welling?! JASON PRIESTLEY?! Come on! Give me someone who actually LOOKS like Ted and can act decently! Donny Osmond does NOT look like my brother-in-law!

Upon thinking about it, I actually really liked the idea of casting Brendan Fraser in the role, if he were to bulk up a bit and have a good director help him increase his range on camera. But I don't think that's a perfect fit. Ted needs someone who is big, tall, burly, and can change from being abrupt and aggressive to goofy and sarcastic, and sometimes even a sort of "gentle giant." Ted jokingly told me not to consider Jack Black in the comments of an earlier post. Jack would need to be a little taller, a little manlier, and have a much better acting range in order to fill this part. Fraser is a better choice than Black.

Amy is an even more difficult person to cast. I abhorred EVERY option presented to me by MyHeritage.com. I'm totally stuck on this one. This would need to be a short, blonde girl with a fun personality and who likes to talk, but knows how to lay down the law when necessary. She also needs to be a natural with kids. Any ideas here?

So far I'm thinking that Ted MIGHT be played by Brendan Fraser, but most likely we'd have to cast unknowns for both of these family members.

2 comments:

Martha said...

I'm thinking Joan Cusack for your sister.

Ted said...

Oh my! I had no idea that you had written this about Amy and I.
Thus far, I believed that I had successfully avoided any pictures of myself appearing on the greater internet.

As for whom to play me, I think Brendan Frasier could play me - look at all the different 'characters' he played in the movie 'Bedazzled' - he played the same character living 4 or 5 different "lives", including a Drug Warlord, Basketball player, and Overly Sensitive Compassionate Man who crys as he sees a sunset. I can knock all of those personalities out on the way to work, so I think he could have the range necessary to play me.

As for Amy, I'm probably pretty biased, but if I had to choose an actress on short notice to portray my wonderful bride, I would look to Elizabeth Banks or Julie Bowen. (Although Julie Bowen has brown eyes - she'd have to wear blue contacts...)